Monday, July 6, 2009

NOW AND THEN 7/6/9

Things are slowing down now. We got to keep Stone Friday. Saturday evening we went to Doug's in-laws house for burgers and then went to watch fireworks display near the River Walk. Sunday was nice. We picked up a lady from our congregation who doesn't have transportation who uses a walker and has numerous physical problems. Went to Qdoba's for lunch with Nichole & family. Sunday afternoon I had a bout of Montezuma's revenge and so I stayed home from evening worship. Ellen said it was very good. Today Ellen, Cole & Ryan went to the Oxley Nature Conserve by the Zoo. Ellen wasn't impressed. I stayed home just in case the Aztecs made a return visit. Little queasy but made it O K. Weather has been nice the last few days but it is forecasted to be around 100 this weekend.

THEN

That wagon became my treasured possession for many years and I had many thrilling rides down the steep hill road to the west of our property.

The wagon did cause me some discomfort once when I was six or eight years old. My father and brother had torn out the flue, a brick chimney to which you could attach a stove pipe for a wood stove, on the north side of the house between the two large juniper trees. The brick lay in a big pile in the front yard. Mother said she would give me two dollars (no small amount at a time when you could go to the movies for a dime)to move and stack the brick in the back yard.

Not being an industrious individual, I was not overly excited about the task. I did however understand that my mother's proposition was was actually "do it for two dollars or do it for nothing but you will do it!" It must have taken the better part of a month and much griping from my mother for me to earn the two dollar.

No comments:

Post a Comment